Monday, February 9, 2009

Holly Hobby


Fact:

Cool and interesting people have cool and interesting hobbies.

Uncool and uninteresting people have uncool and uninteresting hobbies.


I live life much like that of Phil Connors from "Groundhog Day". School, gym, TV, sleep, repeat. I suppose you can call the classes I take at the gym a hobby, but if that's all I've got I would have to say that I'm still uncool and uninteresting. I would love to say that I devour classic literature volumes like cupcakes but that would be a lie. I would like to say that I am in the process of teaching myself how to play an antique cello or something equally as inspiring, but I'm not. I could go to Hobby Lobby and pick myself up some amateur knitting needles and go to work on the most hideous and ill-proportioned scarves you'll ever see, but I would rather save myself the time and effort and go buy one that doesn't make me look clinically insane. And, in an effort to keep myself from gaining a solid hundo or two I have decided to put off all plans of making baking my hobby.


So what's left? Children's books, that's what! I am going to write children's books. This is something that I have always talked about wanting to do. I fancy myself a fairly good writer and a fairly good teacher with creative ideas. I think I will start writing stories for the students in my class and see where that takes me. I already have to write stories pretty often, social stories that help kids deal with any problems they are currently having in school. Tonight, after watching two hours of "The Bachelor", I will move forward with my new hobby! I WILL be cool and interesting. At parties people will ask me "what do you do besides teach? " and I will say "Why, I write children's literature! Hm hm hm hm hm." That last bit was of course my hoity toity laugh. Wish me luck! HOBBY HERE I COME!

No comments:

Post a Comment