Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Are there Bike Paths in Japan?


Important disclaimer: Before I go on an on again about Japan, I would just like to say that if I do not get into the JET program I will immediately log onto my blog and delete it in its entirety to save myself from feeling like a total loser.


Just this past weekend I was walking down a beautiful bike path on what seemed like an unseasonably warm day. While I was staring up at the bare trees and admiring the sound of labored breathing from the dozens of runners that passed in my peripheral I thought to myself, are there bike paths in Japan? You see, it's not that I actually CARE if there are bike paths in Japan, this question adds up to so much more. Since I heard about my interview I have been having several similar crazed thoughts.


Do they have cereal in Japan? I buy cereal in bulk and spring up each morning looking forward to one thing and one thing only, the first spoonful of my delicious and reliable bowl of cereal. Can I get my hair cut and colored? The first vision that crossed my mind was one of me with ratty hair down to my ankles held together by roughly eighteen scrunchies. The first two feet of my hair is blond and the last three is a disgusting shade of baby poop brown. I would walk down the city streets of Tokyo and beautiful Japanese women would hide behind their hands chuckling with glee. What about the dentist? I have at least three cavities every six months! I will surely return to the states with a set of self-made makeshift dentures! I read that an apple can cost up to $6! ARE YOU SERIOUS!? The pace at which I consume apples is comparable to Kris Kattan's character Mr. Peepers from Saturday Night Live! If I wanted to make an apple pie, which I have never done but might get the urge to do while in Japan, it would cost like.... like... like $72! So much for bringing my cooperating teacher a home baked American apple pie!
I tell myself that this sort of questioning is normal. I will most likely find out when I get there, IF I get there, that bike paths, cereal, hair care, teeth, and apples won't matter. What will matter is that I'm in Japan and I'm going to get lost roughly 365+ (once for each day that I am there) times.
Japan fact: Some farmers grow square watermelons in Japan.
Now, I don't believe everything that I read on the Internet, but if this is true, which I hope that it is, it would take care of all of my watermelon cutting conundrums! But, when I think about it further, if a plain ol' apple is $6 a specialized square watermelon might be about.... $1,000,000?

No comments:

Post a Comment